BECOMING A MIDSHIPMAN
Steps to becoming a midshipman:
- Visit our programs and Scholarship Breakdown pages.
- Ask questions to our Midshipman Recruiting Officer.
- Sign up for our New Student Orientation program (NSO).
- When registering for classes, register for NS 100 and NS 101 first.
- NS 100, Leadership Laboratory (Drill), is a Battalion-wide instructional period used to develop midshipmen with necessary knowledge for the fleet. NS 101, Introduction to Naval Science, sets the foundation of Navy and Marine Corps concepts and is an introduction to the basics of the military profession. Any class conflicts must be approved by the NROTC freshmen class advisor.
- Physical Training (PT) and Leadership Laboratory (Drill) occur weekday mornings and end as early as 7 (Tuesday/Thursday) or as late as 9 (Wednesdays), so do your best not to register for classes that start at 0800. Some courses may only be held at that time and your chain of command will work with you to reschedule your Navy commitments. Student athletes are also encouraged to inform unit staff of any athletic conflicts in advance.